- In 1525 the Swiss Anabaptist movement began. This religious sect believes in adult baptism.
- In 1536 Menno Simons started the Mennonite church
- In 1694 Jacob Amman broke away from the Mennonite church to start the Amish church. He did this mainly over issues with communion and excommunication.
- In 1730 the Amish started to migrate to the Eastern USA
- In 1808 the first Amish settle in Sugarcreek, Ohio
- In 1809 Jonas Stutzman became he first Amish settler in Holmes County
- In 1824 Holmes County was founded
- In 1913 the Swartzentruber Amish formed. They are the most conservative Amish living in Holmes County today
- In 1927 the Beachy Amish Mennonite formed. They are the most liberal Amish living in Holmes County today
- In 1966 the New Order Amish formed
When you visit Holmes County, Ohio you can learn more about the history of the Amish and Mennonites by touring the mural, Behalt, at the Amish & Mennonite Information Center. You can also take Amish Culture tours when you are a guest at Garden Gate Get-A-Way Bed & Breakfast on their own tour bus. This bed and breakfast can also arrange for you to have dinner with one of their Amish neighbors.
Written by Carol Steffey, Garden Gate Get-A-Way Bed & Breakfast, Millersburg, Ohio (330) 674-7608 www.garden-gate.com