- Guggisberg Cheese, near Charm. They have won more awards for their Swiss cheese than any other cheese factory in the area, but they do sell a variety of cheese.
- Broad Run Cheese, near Dover. They are one of the oldest cheese factories in the State and have samples that you can try before your buy. They also have a winery on site to compliment your cheese purchases.
- Troyers County Market, Berlin. This bulk foods market not only offers lots of cheese, but a deli, ice cream, fresh produce, Amish Wedding Foods, and lots of samples.
- Walnut Creek Cheese, Walnut Creek. From the outside it looks like 5 stores but inside you will find cheese, bulk foods, ice cream, lunch counter, jam/jelly factory, granola factory, bakery, and kitchen gadgets store!
- Heini's Cheese, Berlin and Heini's Gourmet Market, Sugarcreek. At the Berlin location you can watch cheese making and sample 50 kinds of cheese. At the Sugarcreek location you will find a gourmet market with cheese, wine, spices, snacks, and more.
There are lots of places in Amish Country to purchase cheese, but the ones mentioned above offered special experiences to visitors so they are our favorite picks.
Written by Carol Steffey, Garden Gate Get-A-Way Bed & Breakfast, Millersburg, Ohio (330) 674-7608 www.garden-gate.com