- Now is the time to pull weeds because the roots are not very deep and they will come up easily. If you want to avoid new weeds you will want to cover bare spots with mulch. Some people like to use the black plastic sheeting as well.
- If you decide to put mulch around your plants be sure to keep it a few inches away from the stems, or tree trunks, in order to prevent rotting.
- April is a good time to plant rose bushes before they starting budding.
- If you want to add some color to your garden before summer then try pansies. There are many varieties that can handle some cold nights without dying. If you want them to continue blooming all summer be sure to remove spent blossoms.
- You have heard the saying, "April showers bring May flowers". Don't depend 100% on rain. Your garden can dry up so check it to see if it needs water.
- If you decide to plant seeds then you need to check if the soil is ready for planting. If you grab a handful of soil and it falls apart in your hand then you are ready to plant. If it clumps together then you should wait.
- While everyone is anxious to plant new flowers, in Northeast Ohio you should wait until May 15-20 to make sure that your plants won't get frost bite.
Gardens and gardening can bring a lot of joy in to your life and relieve stress, so have fun planting a garden this year.
Written by Carol Steffey, Garden Gate Get-A-Way Bed & Breakfast, Millersburg, Ohio (330) 674-7608 www.garden-gate.com